CSP SYSTEMS OFFER GREEN SOLUTIONS FOR PUBLIC WORKS OFFICIALS AND DESIGNERS
Sustainable construction has been a hot button topic and growing concern across the country. Soaring energy prices combined with the public’s growing awareness and advocacy for greener solutions and focus on reducing carbon emissions has brought these issues to the forefront of public debate. Public works officials and designers are faced with how to incorporate more sustainable solutions as they deal with expanding and upgrading an aging and overtaxed infrastructure.
SUSTAINABLE FACTS ON STEEL
- Steel is the most recycled material in the world.
- The U.S. steel industry has exceeded the Kyoto accords for energy improvement by more than 240 percent.
- The U.S. steel industry has reduced its energy consumption by 33 percent since 1990.
- Greenhouse gas emissions have been reduced by nearly 45 percent since 1975.
- Air and water emissions are 90 percent lower today than 10 years ago.
- Virtually all hazardous waste once generated by the steel industry is now being recycled for recovery for beneficial use.
Information provided by the Steel Recycling Institute.
Other Sustainable Benefits to CSP
In addition to its high percentage of recycled content (how much recycled content is in the finished product) and its high reclamation rate (how often a product is actually recycled at the end of its useful life), CSP offers users other great “green” benefits as well.
Steel is the most recycled material in the world. Each year, more steel is recycled than plastic, glass, aluminum and paper combined. In the United States alone, almost 83 million tons of steel were recycled or exported for recycling in 2007.
Earning LEED Certification Points with CSP
Public works designers can earn LEED certification points by specifying corrugated steel pipe systems and requesting a recycle content certification from the supplier. CSP systems more than meet the recycled content requirements of Materials & Resources Credit 4 of LEED-NC Versions 2.2 and 2009 (Recycled Content Value of Steel Building Products).
For more information on other benefits to CSP visit www.realdealonsteel.com.
For more information on this and the many other benefits of Corrugated Steel Pipe, contact us by calling (972) 850-1907 or visiting NCSPA.org.