Polymer Coating Overview
The 10/10 grade (10 mils thickness, each side)is the primary product used. Polymer coating provides excellent adhesion to the base steel and extended corrosion and abrasion resistance. The service life recommendations are based on extensive lab and field tests. While polymer coated CSP has not been in use quite as long as the galvanized or aluminized coatings, polymer CSP installations still go back to nearly 40 years ago.
The performance of polymer CSP has been monitored by Corrpro and found to have essentially no deterioration despite installation in some extreme environments. NCSPA and The Dow Chemical Company, the manufacturer of TRENCHCOAT™ Protective Film, have conducted laboratory tests to provide additional data related to the service life of polymer coated CSP. Sites contained environmental conditions with resistivity as low as 100 ohm-cm and pH as low as 2.1.
Recent testing indicates polymer coated CSP can withstand abrasion level three conditions. Since polymer is a barrier coating, it exhibits uniformly predictable durability performance within defined environmental ranges. These criteria and the defined ranges for polymer coated pipe are shown in figure 3. Polymer coated pipe operating within these ranges can achieve a 100-year service life based on the current evaluations of installations in the recommended ranges of adverse conditions for nearly 40 years.
Note: Corrosion conditions at the extreme limits of the environmental ranges may require adjusting service life values
For more information download our Pipe Selection Guide found here.
The below is a map of the states that currently accept Polymer coated pipe and plate in their specs.
By: Contech Engineered Solutions Located in Spanish Fork, Utah are six principle diversions from the Spanish Fork River. They are known locally as East Bench Canal, Salem Canal, Malcolm Ditch,Mill Race, South Field Canal, and Lake Shore Canal. These canals are owned and operated by the Central Utah Water Conservancy District (CUWCD) whose primary responsibility […]
By: Contech Engineered Solutions Shakey Lakes Park, located in Menominee County, Michigan, is known for its great fishing and gorgeous views around the lakes. Both locals and tourists alike take advantage of the many amenities available there, and Menominee County takes pride in the advantages the park and surrounding lakes afford. At the end of […]
By: Metal Culverts Inc. The town of Lyons in Walworth County Wisconsin was faced with the task of replacing one of their bridges that had recently been deemed structurally inadequate. Like many townships across the state and country, funding was tight and the bridge replacement was added to an already long list of infrastructure projects […]
By: Lane Enterprises, Inc After learning of the hefty price tag associated with a Thermoplastic Detention System, contractors reached out to Lane Enterprises, Inc to help value-engineer a replacement system. After comparing the options a polymer-coated corrugated steel pipe detention system was selected. Polymer Coated CSP was shown to be comparable in terms of […]
By: Contech Engineered Solutions The Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) determined that the rehabilitation of twin, 168-inch diameter culverts under a peak of nearly 50-feet of fill located west at the interchange of I-74 and I-80 in Moline, Illinois was necessary. The twin culverts had been patched previously, but further repair would not provide the structural performance […]
By: Pacific Corrugated Pipe Pacific Corrugated Pipe Co. (PCP) implemented a variety of actions based on Tier II treatment requirements administered by the Department of Environmental Quality. PCP installed an Electrocoagulation (EC) Stormwater Treatment System at their manufacturing facility. The Design parameters of the EC system allowed for the discharge of clean water. The plans […]
Studies, Resources & Marketing Materials
- Superior Abrasion Resistance of Polymer Coated Corrugated Steel Pipe – Superior Abrasion Resistance of Polymer Coated Steel Pipe – Over 40 years ago the corrugated steel pipe industry developed a polymer precoat protective film that significantly extends the service life of galvanized CSP and provides over a century long solution in as harsh as level 3 abrasive environments. Based on extensive experience, laboratory and field testing; polymer coated corrugated steel pipe has proven to be a strong, reliable, sustainable part of our nation’s infrastructure. Polymer coated corrugated steel pipe fabricated to meet specifications, which can be evidenced by qualification and routine quality assurance testing; has, can, and will provide not only value but the necessary service life performance under our great nation’s highways ensuring the safety of future generations.
- Long-Term Field Investigation of Polymer Coated Corrugated Steel Pipe – A report by Elzly Technology Corporation documenting the performance and environmental conditions of polymer coated CSP in 5 states (AR, LA, MI, NY, and WI) around the country.
- Field Performance Evaluation of Polymer Coated Pipe in MN – A report documenting the performance and environmental conditions of polymer coated CSP in the state of Minnesota of sites nearly 40 years old.
- Field Performance Evaluation of Polymer Coated Structures in NY – A report by Corrpro Companies, Inc. documenting the performance and environmental conditions of polymer coated/asphalt paved CSP in New York state.
- Field Performance Evaluation of Polymer Coated Structures in WI – A report by Corrpro Companies, Inc. documenting the performance and environmental conditions of polymer coated CSP in Wisconsin of sites up to 27 years old
- Service life upgrades – rehab
ASTM STANDARDS –
- A742/A742M-18 Standard Specification for Steel Sheet, Metallic Coated and Polymer Precoated for Corrugated Steel Pipe
- A762/A762M-19 Standard Specification for Corrugated Steel Pipe, Polymer Precoated for Sewers and Drains
- A796/A796M-17a Standard Practice for Structural Design of Corrugated Steel Pipe, Pipe-Arches, and Arches for Storm and Sanitary Sewers and Other Buried Applications
- A798/A798M-17 Standard Practice for Installing Factory-Made Corrugated Steel Pipe for Sewers and Other Applications
- A930-09(2014) Standard Practice for Life-Cycle Cost Analysis of Corrugated Metal Pipe Used for Culverts, Storm Sewers, and Other Buried Conduits
Proposed new standards under the jurisdiction of A05.17
- WK59164 Corrugated Steel Structural Plate, Polymer-Coated, for Field-Bolted Pipe, Pipe-Arches, and Arches
Want To Learn More?
Contact us today to schedule an in person presentation. Simply fill out the below form and someone will contact you shortly.